Important Information for the Class of 2018
If senior dues have not been paid or students have not cleared all outstanding obligations, he/she should do so immediately. Students will not receive their cap and gown for graduation without clearing all obligations. Students should see Ms. Xouris in Subschool 4 to determine their status. Parents can email Ms. Xouris email@example.com for inquiries.
As of May 1, all fees, obligations, and purchases, must be paid in cash or a money order payable to Westfield HS. No checks will be accepted for the remainder of the school year. This does not apply to food services (cafeteria) or the PTSA for ANGP.
Contact Balfour at www.balfour.com regarding graduation announcements.
I. Prom: Saturday, May 12, 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. @ Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, Herndon.
Tickets will be sold for $75.00 per person and will be available for purchase April 30 – May 11. Online ticket sales will be available April 30-May 10 only, through the FCPS MySchoolBucks program. You can access MySchoolBucks at the following link: https://www.myschoolbucks.com. The online receipt will be required to pick up the tickets during all lunches. Prom tickets, not purchased through MySchoolBucks, will be sold during all lunches May 7-11. These are payable by cash or money order only. Checks will not be accepted for payment. If a non-WHS student is attending as a guest, a form MUST be completed and approved prior to receiving tickets (attached for your convenience). Guests cannot be a middle school student and may not be older than 20. A reminder that Prom is within 30 days of graduation. Please refer to Section X in this letter for clarification on the substance abuse policy as it pertains to prom. *If you have a financial hardship, please contact Meredith Norris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
II. SENIOR EXAMS: May 30-June 4 Seniors must continue to attend classes on scheduled days, up through completion of each final exam and/or culminating activity according to the exam schedule. **Note: Those students participating in the WeStep internship are exempt from the exams below.
Wednesday, May 30
Period 2 Exam
Full Day- No Bulldog Block
Thursday, May 31
Period 5 & 7 Exams
Full Day- No Bulldog Block
Friday, June 1
Period 4 & 6 Exams
*Seniors Released at 11:55
Monday, June 4
Period 1 & 3 Exams
*Seniors Released at 11:55
* Seniors riding a bus will report to the Library until underclass dismissal at 2:55.
III. SENIOR AWARDS NIGHT: Wednesday, June 6, 7:00 p.m., Westfield HS, Auditorium This program is an awards ceremony honoring the outstanding students of the Class of 2018. All are welcome to attend. Those receiving an award will be sent an invitation. Appropriate dress is required (no casual wear).
IV. SENIOR ASSEMBLY/BBQ/SOCIAL: Wednesday, June 6, 11:45 a.m. – 2:55 p.m.
- Senior Class Assembly, WHS Auditorium (11:45-1:00)
- Senior Class BBQ/Social, WHS Stadium (1:00-2:55)
ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY
- Seniors who ride the bus in the morning will report to the Library until 11:30 a.m.
- Seniors who drive must park in the student lot or be dropped off at Door 11. Do not park or enter via the bus loop.
V. GRADUATION REHEARSAL #1: Thursday, June 7, 12:45 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., WHS Gym
ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY
Those individuals who fail to attend the rehearsal will be excluded from the graduation ceremony. No one will be excused from this rehearsal without a prior written request by parent/guardian to and approved by Meredith Norris email@example.com, class administrator. These requests must be received no later than June 1st. * Seniors who drive must park in the student lot or be dropped off at Door 11. Do not park or enter via the bus loop.
- Report to the Westfield HS Gymnasium by 12:45 p.m.
- Seniors should locate their seating assignment for marching arrangements. Last names beginning A-Lam will be on the right side facing the stage and Lan-Z will be on the left side facing the stage. Students will find an index card with their row and seat number in the chair. This is where they will sit for commencement. This is important for practicing the processional and recessional for graduation. A complete rehearsal of the program will be conducted.
- All textbooks, fines, and other obligations owed to the school must be cleared by 11:30 a.m., Thursday June 7th, in order to receive a cap and gown on Friday, June 8th.
- Outstanding obligations should be directed to Ms. Kristine Xouris in Subschool 4. (firstname.lastname@example.org) Caps and gowns will not be distributed to seniors until all financial obligations are met.
VI. GRADUATION REHEARSAL #2 : Friday, June 8, 12:45 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., WHS Gym
ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY Seniors who drive must park in the student lot or be dropped off at Door 11. Do not park or enter via the bus loop.
Individuals who fail to attend the rehearsal will be excluded from the graduation ceremony. No one will be excused from this rehearsal without a prior written request by parent/guardian to and approved by Meredith Norris, (email@example.com) class administrator. These requests must be received no later than June 1st.
- At 12:45 p.m., line up in the assigned hallway according to directions received at Rehearsal #1 on June 7th.
- Caps and gowns will be distributed during this rehearsal to those students who have satisfied all of their financial obligations.
VII. BACCALAUREATE: Sunday, June 10, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Centreville Presbyterian Church, 15450 Lee Highway, Centreville.
This ceremony is organized and sponsored entirely by senior students and parents. This program is a multi-faith ceremony – a time of thanksgiving and reflection for graduates, their families and friends. Participation by students is voluntary. Attendance at this ceremony by any school employee is the result of a voluntary, private decision by that individual and does not indicate endorsement by the school.
VIII. GRADUATION: Monday, June 11, 7:30 p.m., EagleBank Arena, George Mason University
* Graduating seniors should plan to arrive at EagleBank Arena at 6:00 p.m.
GENERAL INFO FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Please note there will be no tickets issued this year. Seating in the arena is available on a first-come, first serve basis. Traffic may be heavy approaching George Mason University. Please adjust your travel plans to accommodate these delays.
EagleBank Arena is accessible for the handicapped. The south side entrance provides parking and access into the arena. Special seats are available for those with physical limitations refer to the enclosure. If you or a guest is hearing impaired and require the aid of an ASL interpreter, contact Cathy Cespedes (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 1st.
Remember, this is a formal affair. Noisemakers and any other inappropriate items (signs, balls, balloons, etc.) are not allowed and will be confiscated and not returned. No backpacks, bags, coolers, or outside food or beverages will be allowed into the EagleBank Arena. There will be a bag check conducted on all guests coming to the event. This is a policy of the EagleBank Arena. If you disrupt the ceremony, you will be asked to leave.
Parents and friends are requested not to leave their seats to take pictures during the ceremony. A professional photographer and videographer have been contracted to take pictures of each senior as the diploma is awarded. An info sheet is enclosed for a DVD order form from Memories Videography. For relatives who may not be able to attend graduation, a private live stream is available for a fee. For further information, go to www.memoriesvideography.com or contact Ricky@memoriesvideography.com. Pictures will be available ten days after the ceremony at events.lifetouch.com.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO SENIORS
- Arrive at the EagleBank Arena starting at 6:00 p.m., and no later than 6:30 p.m. You will enter the EagleBank Arena via the EAST loading dock area and proceed directly to your assigned seat per instructions given at rehearsal. After graduation, you will exit EagleBank Arena upstairs at the SOUTH exit. Arrange ahead of time where you will meet your family.
- EagleBank Arena does not offer any secure/storage area for items brought in by graduating seniors. The only item graduates should carry is their car key (bring a safety pin to attach the key to the inside of your gown). DO NOT bring cell phones, purses, make-up, brushes, nor inappropriate items such as beach balls, air horns, frisbees, etc. into the EagleBank Arena.
- At 7:10 p.m., graduates will be in marching order (wearing caps and gowns) in the hallway.
- Dress: Wear caps and gowns. Girls should wear dresses that do not hang below the gown and comfortable dress shoes (no tennis shoes, boots, or flip flops). Boys should wear collared shirts, dark pants, (white or light pants will stand out with black gowns, no shorts or jeans) and dress shoes (no tennis shoes, boots, flip flops, slippers, or sandals).
- Remember this is a formal affair. Do not alter your caps and gowns. Items that violate this policy will be confiscated. At the discretion of the administrative staff, any senior whose dress and/or behavior is inappropriate will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony. Your cooperation in making this a meaningful occasion is expected and appreciated.
IX. SENIOR HONOR SASHES
Seniors who have a final (four year) grade point average of a 3.3 or higher have earned the privilege of wearing an honor sash to wear at graduation. Honor sashes are available to purchase for $10 beginning May 1-June 6. June 6th will be the last day students can purchase sashes. Students can purchase their sash (cash only) from Jessica Velasquez, located in Student Services. Sashes will be distributed to eligible Seniors at the second rehearsal. If you have a financial hardship, please contact Sonya Williams in Student Services at email@example.com.
X. REMINDER: SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND YOUR SON/DAUGHTER
As your son/daughter prepares to attend the Westfield High School graduation ceremony and its related events, it is an appropriate time to review the substance abuse policy and the consequences of violation as it pertains to school sponsored activities.
Violations include, but are not limited to:
- Using, possessing, distributing, or being under the influence of alcohol, inhalants, or non-alcoholic beer while on school property or while attending a school activity (such as graduation).
- Using, abusing, possessing, or distributing any non-prescription drug for the purpose of abuse (as well as distribution other than for the purpose of abuse).
- Arriving on school property or to a school-sponsored activity under the influence of marijuana, synthetic marijuana, or of any illegal or illegally used controlled substance, or for possessing or distributing drug paraphernalia.
- Use or possession of a controlled substance, marijuana, an imitation controlled substance, imitation marijuana, or synthetic marijuana while on school property or at a school-sponsored activity.
Violations of these, as well as other laws and school rules may result in school-based disciplinary action up to and including a 10 day suspension and referral to the superintendent’s hearing office. These disciplinary actions may also include a thirty-day prohibition from any and all school activities. Seniors in violation of the policy within 30 days of the graduation ceremony or any of the related functions will not be permitted to participate in those activities.
Please do not allow substance abuse to ruin what should be a joyous time for all students and their families. We want this to be a safe and happy time.
XI. ALL NIGHT GRAD PARTY: Monday, June 11, 11:00 p.m. (check-in) – Tuesday, June 12, 4:00 a.m., at Uptown Alley and Autobahn, in the Manassas Mall.
- Participants will be transported to and from WHS.
- Tickets are on sale now. The current price per ticket is $75.00, which will increase to $85.00 on May 28th. The tickets can be purchased online at http://ptsa.westfieldhs.org/parents/angp-homepage.html. You can also send in a completed form to the main office with a check made payable to: WHS ANGP. Tickets will not be sold after June 6th.
- Risk/Emergency Forms need to be completed for the student attending the party. The form can be found on the school webpage, main office or on the PTSA website.
- We are very proud of the Class of 2018 and have been honored to work with them toward this most significant accomplishment.
Thank you for all your outstanding support. We look forward to seeing you and celebrating with you!