Staff contact, student medication, illness procedures, and more

General Information

Phone Number | 703.488.6310

Location | H123


Nicole Morales, BSN, RN

School Public Health Nurse II

Fairfax County Health Department

email: @email

phone: 703.488.6312

Tency Henton

School Health Aide

email: @email

phone: 703.488.6310

End of Year Medication Pick up

The school health room is reminding parents and guardians that all medication stored in the health room must be picked up no later than the student dismissal time on the last day of school. Medication left in the health room after that time will be destroyed. It is school policy that medications must be picked up by the parent or guardian. Medication cannot be sent home with your student. However, with parent or guardian permission, a high school student may transport over-the-counter medications to and from the school health room. If your student will be enrolled in a summer program sponsored by Fairfax County Public Schools, the existing medication authorization form(s) may be used for the summer program, but you will need to pick up the medication on the last day of school and deliver the medication and completed forms to the summer learning site on the first day of the summer program. Please let the health room know if you would like a copy of the form(s).

Medication authorization forms for next school year may be obtained from the school or online at A medication authorization form is required for any medication, prescription or over-the-counter, to be kept at school. Please be sure medication orders are clear. All information on the form must be completed. Part I must be signed and dated by the parent or guardian. Part II must be signed and dated by your health care provider. Approved over-the-counter medications given for headaches, muscle aches, orthodontic pain, or menstrual cramps do not need a health care provider’s signature. Antibiotic or antiviral medications for 10 consecutive school days or less do not require a health care provider’s signature either. For all asthma medications, a Virginia Asthma Action Plan must be provided. More detailed information is available on the back of the medication authorization form(s).

Over-the-counter medication must be in the unopened original container and clearly labeled by the parent or guardian. No more than 100 pills/tablets of OTC medication should be brought to school at a time. All prescription medication, including samples, must be labeled by the pharmacist or health care provider. Please make sure that the label clearly states your student’s name, the name of the medication, the dosage of the medication, and the time to be given.

Your cooperation will ensure that we can safely give your student, their medication. If you have any questions, please contact your school health room aide, Hortense Henton, at 703-488-6310, or your school public health nurse, Nicole Morales, at 703-488-6312.

Thank you for your cooperation and have a good summer.


Health Information Form

The Health Information Form is to be completed by the parent or guardian at the start of each school year. The completed form is to be returned to the school clinic.

Prescription Medications

Children who need to take medication during school hours must have a signed Medication Authorization, Release, and Indemnification Form. Prescription medications require the signature of both the parent and the physician. Inhalers and EpiPens require authorization forms.

·         Medication Authorization Form

·         Epinephrine (EpiPen) Authorization Form 

·         Inhaler Authorization Form

Over-the-counter Medications

Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are drugs that can be purchased without a doctor's prescription and are used for the relief of symptoms on a temporary basis. With parent and/or physician authorization, OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year. Parents may authorize limited use for 10 consecutive days with a completed Medication Authorization FormExamples include antihistamines for allergic reactions. With parent permission using the Medication Authorization Form, certain OTC pain reliever medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year only for headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, or orthodontic pain. The medication must be supplied by the parent in its original container. Examples include Tylenol, Advil, Pamprin, and aspirin.

Transport of Medications to and from School

​Prescription medication must be transported to and from school by the parent/guardian.   With parent or guardian approval, a high school student may carry an over-the-counter (OTC) medication to and from the school health room.  All medications must be kept in the clinic and taken under adult supervision. Middle school children are not permitted to carry medications, including OTC medications, except for prescription inhalers or EpiPens with the authorization of their parent(s) and physician.

Scheduling Medical Appointments

Please make every effort to schedule appointments outside of school hours. When this is not possible, please send a note to the school on the morning of the appointment stating the time the child will be picked up. Children should bring appointment notes to the attendance secretary before homeroom. The student's name will then be shown on an early dismissal list so teachers will know the student is not cutting class. For safety reasons, parents must sign out children in the office.

Release of Student from School

Only those individuals designated on the Emergency Care Information form will be contacted either to excuse or take your student home. If the clinic contacts you to excuse your student from school, the clinic must have voice contact with the responsible adult to dismiss the student from school grounds. In an emergency, 911 will be called prior to contacting the parent.